In honor of another year around the sun, I have a list of 47 things I learned at each stage in my life. Enjoy!
1. Take baby steps. It's not worth worrying about the magnitude of what has to get done. Take it in all in little baby steps and before you know it, you'll be on the other side.
2. Throw a tantrum. Not really...but every now and again, it's okay to just blow off a little steam and tell the world how you really feel.
3. Find comfort in your momma... or anyone that you are close to.
4. Get dirty. Eat Mud pies (okay, maybe not really). But get dirty. It's the only way to experience life. Hands muddy. Face marred.
5. Never stop learning - Learning is key to growing. Always keep a wide open mind and learn to say "I don't know" more often than you feel comfortable with.
6. Keep showing up. Even when you don't want to. Whether it's in first grade or just being a parent, sometimes showing up is the hardest part.
7. Always try to create something. Being creative isn't just for kids. It's for everyone. Finger painting, drawing, getting messy are just a part of how we learn and open out minds.
8. Be kind. Compliment someone. Help people who aren't as fortunate. Stand up for someone being picked on. Help someone who is struggling. A little kindness goes a long way.
9. Don't always listen. Sometimes tuning out the world is the best thing you can do. Turn off the news. Tune out the bullies. And keep marching your little march.
10. Grow gracefully. Getting older is no joke. But relish in it. Stop worrying about the number and just be you!
11. Realize your strengths. You have your own set of gifts. Use them.
12. Don't abuse yourself. Don't say bad things about yourself. Don't mistreat your body. And don't let anyone else do either.
13. Change is inevitable. It's been proven. You will change. Your body will change. Don't fight it. Just roll with it.
14. Handle pitfalls with pride. Sure, sometimes you make a fool of yourself.
15. Change is good. Even when it doesn't seem like it, change is a good thing.
16. Fall recklessly in love. Trust me on this.
17. Understand your true beauty. Not physical, but the beauty that makes up the whole you. See the you your family and friends see.
18. You are always just beginning. That's the beauty of life.
19. Follow your drumbeat. This can be hard to do. Especially when it's out of rhythm with those around you. But listen closely to that beat. It's trying to tell you something.
20. Slow down. Seriously. Stop rushing life.
21. Party like it's 1999.
22. Be proud of your accomplishments. They are always bigger than you give yourself credit for.
23. Hard work pays off....most of the time. This isn't always true. But most of the time, hard work pays off. You will always feel better knowing you put in the effort.
24. Shed that which no longer serves you. Friendships. Relationships. Weight. Things. Get rid of it if it doesn't fit you.
25. Stand your ground. No matter what others say, think or feel, make sure you are unwavering in your beliefs.
26. Love deeply. Sometimes it won't be reciprocated. That's okay. Because even though deep, feeling, big love is scary, It's the only way.
27. Lose yourself for a while. Free fall. You never know what could come of it.
28. Find your tribe. This is important. Your people know you. They come in the strangest forms.
29. Live on your terms. It's gonna piss some people off. But do it. Trust me.
30. Try new things.
31. Be ready for unexpected magic. It comes when we least expect it.
32. Dig deep. Sometimes we have to dig deep... even during the best parts of life.
33. Love unconditionally.
34. Buckle your seat belt. Life is a bumpy ride. Make sure you are buckled up for all it's twists and turns.
35. You can do hard things. You can. You have. And you will.
36. Listen. The best thing you can do for yourself and others is to listen intently.
37. Don't be afraid of letting go. Everything comes to an end, whther we want it to or not. Seasons end. Life ends. It's all a cycle. Try to embrace it.
38. Give yourself some breathing room. We are not meant to push through with limitless energy. Take a step back. Catch your breath.
39. Get close to God. Or the universe. Or karma. Whatever it is you believe in.
40. Rest. Or pause. Or just watch Netflix. Just remember to recharge.
41. Go back to your roots. Know where you come from. It will answer a multitude of questions. Trust me on this.
42. Travel. A lot. See the world. Experience as much newness as you can. It's the best part of life.
43. Nourish yourself. Eat well. Sleep. Move. Drink water.
44. Trust your gut.
45. Ask for help. There are people out there who want to help you. Just look around. They are so very close.
46. Understand what you suck at. And stop trying to do it.
47. Lean in.